- 3-5 sweet potatoes (washed thoroughly, cut in half)
- 1 pack ground Italian sausage
- 1 pack ground chicken/turkey
- 2 bell peppers (diced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese (omit this if going for a Paleo recipe)
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350° and bake sweet potato halves skin side down for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- In a large fry pan or wok, sauté on medium-high heat, the bell peppers, onion, and mushrooms with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 2 tbsp olive oil.
- In a separate sauté pan, brown the ground meat on medium-high heat. Once meat is cooked all the way, add the meat to the vegetable mixture.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and use a large metal spoon to scoop out the middle of the potatoes so that you have a “boat” for the filling.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato that you removed with the meat and vegetable mixture. Add 1/3 cup of shredded cheese and combine all ingredients.
- Once combined, fill the sweet potato “boats” with the filling. Top with shredded cheese and cracked black pepper. Place back in the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Download a PDF of this recipe here!