(This recipe serves 6-8 people)
- 1-2 large onions (diced)
- 2-3 whole garlic cloves (finely diced)
- 2 bell peppers (diced)
- 1 mild chili pepper (finely diced)
- 1 package fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large fresh tomatoes (diced)
- ½ box chicken, seafood, or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- Salt & pepper
- ½ bottle of your favorite white wine
- 1 lb raw Prince Edward Island mussels
- 1 lb raw scallops
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp
- 2 large haddock fillets
- 3 large zucchinis (sliced into noodles on mandolin)
- In a large stock pot on medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic, bell peppers, and mushrooms with olive oil and salt and pepper for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables become tender and translucent.
- Thoroughly rinse all of the seafood in cool water. If any of the mussels are already open before cooking, discard them. The closed ones will open during the cooking process.
- Pan sear the haddock filets with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper in a shallow frying pan. Sear on each side for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mussels, scallops, shrimp, and haddock fillets to the large stock pot and pour in the chicken/seafood/vegetable stock and white wine. Cover the pot and let cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the seafood is cooked through. Remove the lid and stir to ensure that all the ingredients are combined. The haddock fillets will flake into chunks throughout the gumbo. Add the diced tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour servings of the seafood gumbo onto the shredded zucchini noodles in a bowl and top with freshly chopped basil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Download a PDF of this recipe here!