(This recipe serves 10-12 people)
Sag is a leaf-based dish eaten in South Asia. Sag can be made from spinach, mustard leaves, finely chopped broccoli, or other greens, along with added spices. Sag Aloo is aloo (potatoes) dipped in spinach curry.
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes (cubed)
- 3 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 package frozen spinach (thawed, roughly chopped)
- 1 box vegetable stock
- 1 large can tomato puree
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp ginger (minced)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp ground crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, boil the cubed sweet potato, chopped onions, and garlic cloves with vegetable stock for about 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Lightly coat the chicken breasts with olive oil and salt and pepper and bake on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350° for about 40 minutes. Shred the chicken with a fork when cooked and cooled.
- Once the potatoes are soft, use a hand blender to puree all of the ingredients until smooth. Add all of the spices, the can of full fat coconut milk, and the can of tomato puree. Continue to puree until all ingredients are smooth.
- Once pureed, add the can of diced tomatoes, chopped spinach, and shredded chicken. Stir well with a large spoon and add salt and pepper to taste. Allow the soup to cook on medium heat for an additional 30-45 minutes to allow the spices to full incorporate.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Download a PDF of this recipe here!